first day of attachment in UK for mental health elective. I thought we were supposed to be together. me, joanne and gervanne. how wrong was I. We were put in three different places. Me, at a hospital in Chase Farm, Gervanne in another hospital in St Ann, and Joanne in Community clinic in Edmonton.
Mine, is the furthest than the other two, an hour journey by buses. i say buses because i need to take two bus...and YES, yesterday, I'm scared with the idea of travelling alone. my shift started at half past 8 and ended at half past 4. it was dark by then since its winter.
but today, i've found the silver lining; putting aside the part where I get lost while allocating the mental health building. Chase Farm is a big hospital! there are a lot of other units, like hospital in Malaysia.
I was concern about how the people there will accept me. i thought i will be left to hang around doing nothing important (just like most of the time when posting in UKM ;p). again. I was WRONG! what Mr U said back in UKM was soooooooo true!
everyone was warm and friendly. I was introduce to my mentor Mr Heubert and was taken to a home visit. on my first day! that was fast! they also have two staff who originate from Malaysia. yay, jumpa orang kampung!!! one of them, Allison were kind enough to take me to the cafe and order some halal food for me. at last, i finally see rice. After 3 days lunch with oreo, I almost cry when I saw nasi. in terms of learning, the mentor is only there to enable what we need to learn.
Anyway, there are different team within mental health unit. The team that I'm attach with now is called home treatment team. they perform risk assessment to decide whether the patient need hospitalization or treatment in community base. They look after patient who are not violent enough to be hospitalized yet not stable to be left alone in community. The team work for short period with patient around 4 to 6 week before handing the patient to community team or their respective general practitioner.
Looking forward for tomorrow!
sumpah jeles. hospital yg kami pegi ni agak... hurm.............. ohwell
ReplyDeletesaya memahaminya...mind set yg berbeza..
ReplyDeletetu lar.. hope kami dpt bljr btol2 kt sini......... hurm.... segan la kalo tk bjaye mncpai expectation mr. U...
ReplyDeletesama jugak...
ReplyDelete